The genesis of Brightree was born out of the frustrations of Steve Elrod, a highly successful HME/DME provider. Steve ran OXY+PLUS for 13 years, during which time he purchased and implemented four different software systems. Each time he was disappointed by system limitations and the lack of support he received. It seemed that these software companies couldn’t grasp the nature of what was important to the success of his business. They didn’t follow a logical, optimized workflow and the technologies always seemed outdated and required constant workarounds.
Ultimately, in order to get what he needed, Steve decided to build it himself. In 2002, Brightree was founded when Steve and his team set out on a mission to create the premiere software solution in the market and back it up with a level of customer care unrivaled in the industry.
In 2005, Steve turned over day-to-day management of Brightree to Dave Cormack (CEO) and a leadership team of industry veterans with over 50 years of combined software and healthcare experience. In a short period of time under Dave’s leadership, Brightree became the fastest growing solution on the market.
In 2008, Brightree and The VGM Group signed a 10-year exclusive partnership. Later that year, Brightree secured a significant investment from Battery Ventures, a major Boston-based private equity firm with $3B in assets, to fund enhancements to product functionality and customer support programs and to accelerate growth.
Brightree immediately put Battery's investment to work. In December 2008, a billing service company was acquired to deliver an integrated outsourcing option for customers. In 2009, development began on robust functionality specifically designed for infusion providers. In 2010, Brightree announced a plan to invest $70 million dollars over the next 4 years to expand the company's features, functionality and services. Brightree also signed a 5-year exclusive strategic alliance with Invacare in 2009.
Brightree is headquartered in Atlanta, GA with offices in Paddock Lake, WI and employs 400 full-time industry professionals who are dedicated to meeting the needs of Brightree's 40,000 users. Brightree serves 2,500 companies who file $8 billion in Medicare, Medicaid and commercial claims annually.
Today, Brightree’s mission is unchanged from the day we were founded:
- Build a system that intuitively follows optimal workflow and offers robust functionality with an easy-to-use interface
- Provide smart solutions that continually enhance the speed of reimbursements, improve cash flow, and decrease DSO
- Deliver inventory management functionality that is integrated within the billing workflow to seamlessly manage the purchasing, intake, delivery, and accounting elements of the typical business
- Continually introduce new technological enhancements to fully automate all areas of the business
- Provide appropriate outsourced service offerings which are tightly integrated within the Brightree platform
- Provide accurate, easy to use analytical tools to help customers manage their business and make better decisions
- Minimize I.T. burdens by centralizing all of the technical tasks, such as product upgrades, pricing updates, and disaster recovery
- Build a solution that is 100% Internet-centric to deliver:
- A centralized platform that allows for the electronic exchange of data for solutions such as eligibility, claims to all payers, ePurchasing, and delivery automation
- A pain-free networking and worldwide data access by multiple users, simultaneously, from any Internet-connected PC, without the need to download any software
- An easy to use interface via the universally understood Internet Explorer browser
- Build a strong business partnership with all Brightree customers by providing unparalleled support and daily value at an affordable price